Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Great Experiment

Taylor is sick again for the 3rd time in her life. The funny thing is how dramatic she is about the whole thing. Judah was sick all the time it felt like. It was 3 weeks sick, and 1 week off, then 3 weeks sick, and one week off, over and over. However, he handled it in stride. In fact, you'd hardly know that he was sick if it wasn't for the rivers of snot pouring out of his face, but he would act normally and play normally. Taylor is another story. Although hardly ever sick, when she succumbs to a bug, feeling "under the weather" is an understatement.

Take today for example; she whined all day even when I held or rocked or fed her. I can understand how she must feel, but she wears her emotions on her sleeve. I try my best to comfort her and to be understanding, but by the end of the day I can hardly take it anymore. Luckily, I know that she doesn't get sick that often, so it helps me to be more patient.

I certainly hope that there will be no sick kids when I leave for Texas in November. I am flying to Abilene with Judah to see my brothers who are living there. It will be my first holiday out of town, which is hard to believe. Judah couldn't be more excited, but how awful would it be to have a sick toddler on a plane?! I am grateful that he is one of the most obedient and easy going kids that I've even known, and he's mine. Entertaining him on the airplane will be a piece of cake. My only fears are a poopy diaper or a cold, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Although, I suppose the greatest fear of all is "what the heck is Ricky gonna do with Taylor for 8 days?!?!" Oh man, I don't know that I could handle that, and for some reason, Ricky volunteered to do it. He's the one who pushed me for the Texas trip in the first place (being a good supportive husband), but I don't think he knows what he's gotten himself into. Things may run well if he has plenty of help from relatives, which will be in abundance during Thanksgiving, but we also run the risk of him being a complete wreck when I get back home.





It's a "great experiment" as I've been calling it. I am certain Judah will have fun on his first airplane ride, but Ricky and I have never been away from each other this long before, and who knows how Judah and Taylor will do being away from each other that long as well. Judah and I will be sharing a bed in Texas, so I also hope that won't cause any sleeping problems. I am optimistic, but of course, I'll still worry. This is my family!

No comments: