Monday, June 7, 2010

Ok, So Here's the Baby Story...

JUNE 1ST
I had started having contractions starting early in the morning. I had been having a lot of false labor the last few weeks, so I didn't think much of these contractions. They were fairly light, enough to be annoying, but not painful, and they were anywhere from 3-30 minutes apart. I didn't pay much attention to them most of the day.

I did call Ricky and ask him to come home early. I was so miserable and needed help with Judah pretty badly. Judah was sick with a cold for the first time in several weeks (great timing) and I was drained of energy. He came home about 3ish and we tried to chill the rest of the day.

About 11pm, right after Ricky and I had gone to bed, the contractions suddenly became much more intense, longer, and painful. It only took a few minutes before I was "breathing it out." I timed the contractions for about an hour to make sure these were "real" labor contractions.

JUNE 2ND
Right at midnight, we called James, Ricky's dad, to come and take Judah because we were officially in labor. We waited for him, and called the hospital. Once James arrived to take Judah back to his home, we finished the last of the packing, and headed off. I cried when Judah was leaving because I knew it was the last time that I would see him before he was no longer an only child.

Arriving at the hospital was a bit difficult. It was 2am, I was missing Judah, hormones flaring, and I was convulsing because I was feeling cold. Ricky says that I shook a lot during labor the last time around, but I don't remember that. The contractions were getting steadily worse. During the evaluation, I was dilated 4cm, so it didn't take too long for them to admit us. We settled into our room, and I asked for an epidural. I had no energy to even think about trying to go natural. Props to my sister-in-law for toughing that out. It was about 4am when I received the epidural, and I fell asleep almost immediately, as did Ricky. We had both had a hard day previous and were both exhausted.

We had a really nice nurse who let us sleep as much as possible. She came in about 6am for an evaluation, at which I was only 5cm! I was so disappointed and let down at that news. If I had only progressed 1cm in 4 hours (since admittance) then how long would I be there?! So I went back to sleep.

About 8am they came to check again as Ricky and I were waking up. I met the doctor that would most likely be delivering. She was doing the evaluation, and shockingly said that I was 9cm dilated! At the same time, she accidentally broke my water because I was so close to bursting! I was so happy and relieved that things had moved quickly. Of course, things started moving even more quickly after that.

You are told to get help the moment you feel the need to push (timeline is a little blurry here) which happened shortly after they left. I kept asking the nurse to check me and see if I could push, because I felt I needed to push. She told me to push gently, because I was about 9 1/2 cm and they don't want you to really push unless you are the full 10cm. I pushed gently once, and then started asking for the doctor because I felt that things were "moving fast." The nurse checked again, and sure enough, the baby was coming, so she went to get the doctor. Once the nurse came back, she and Ricky started helping me to push, however, I would not fully push because I was afraid that the baby was coming too quickly. I seriously believed that if I pushed too hard, the baby was going to fly out and off the table! Ricky kept telling me "Push!" and I just wouldn't do it. Once the doctor finally came in, she was asking if I was pushing, because she could tell that I wasn't. When she finally sat down and was all ready, then I finally pushed. I pushed once, then twice between screaming/crying. I remember them telling me to "Push, push, push!" while trying to gather my energy, but before I could push again, there she was.

They handed her to me all wet, and all I felt was shock and relief. Shock because I didn't realize that I was really done. I had expected to push a little longer than that! And also relief because it was all over. I had pushed less than 5 minutes.

She was born 9:12am at 6 pounds 15 ounces and 18.5 inches long.
Here's where things get a little more complicated. Since it was still morning, we were able to see lots of family before they all headed back in to work. James, Ricky's dad, stopped in with Judah, and Judah was wheezing pretty badly. He has a flare up every once in awhile when he's sick. Ricky had to go back to the house with James and Judah to get medicine for him. So I was at the hospital by myself while my husband and son are gone trying to get breathing medication. As it turned out, the medicine was out and we had to use a "backup" method which makes Judah SUPER hyper. Once they got the breathing under control, Judah went back to his grandparents house, and Ricky came back to the hospital.

Later that night, the grandparents called us because Judah's breathing was getting worse and the medicine didn't seem to be working. Not only that, but whenever he has a flare up, he needs to be monitored every few hours during the night and given medicine as necessary. This is not something we wanted to put on the grandparents. Ricky and I decided that the best course of action would be to have Ricky stay home with Judah to monitor his breathing during the night, and I would stay at the hospital, since it would be almost impossible for me to get discharged from the hospital that soon.

So off Ricky went to take care of Judah at home, and I stayed at the hospital by myself. Judah had not had a flare up in several months, and this was the worst possible timing for something like that to happen, but I guess it comes with the territory and the title of parent. It sucked being without my husband overnight. I didn't mind being alone so much because I was able to sleep pretty well, but it did make it hard emotionally that Ricky wasn't there. Luckily, the nurses were a bit understanding of my situation, and they tried to get as much discharge paperwork ready for when Ricky picked me up the next morning.

JUNE 3RD
Ricky and I weren't discharged until noonish. It was so nice to be home finally.

Of course, now comes the hard part of dealing with 2 kids with limited sleep. I am so blessed to have Ricky home for the entire month to help with Judah.

Today she is 1 week old, and Ricky and I are about to implement the Babywise system, which is also hard, but we'll get through this. Physical recovery has been a breeze this time around, but it is still trying emotionally. You have so many feelings at once, and most of them, for me, are melancholy. I remember the same thing with Judah, and about the 2nd week, things started to improve dramatically. It makes it a little easier to be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel, but I have to make it to the end of the tunnel.

I am trying to improve my outlook from depressive, to having the joy of the Lord. I know that Judah has been the joy of our lives, but we need to be patient through the hard parts and sleepless nights. It's only temporary after all. I love my family, and Ricky is my pillar to lean on. I love him so much.

No comments: