Saturday, December 12, 2009

13 Days Until Christmas

All of my Christmas shopping is done except for a few white elephant gifts. It was easy this year because everyone got the same thing. That also kinda stunk though, because holiday shopping is one of the most fun things about Christmas. Picking out things for each family member is a lot of fun for me, despite it being expensive. Buying gifts is the worst part of the holidays for some, but I have never been let down by the spirit of giving yet.

So, although our gifts are less than amazing this year, Ricky and I are still looking forward to our holiday parties. Christmas week has 4 family parties total (better than last year's 7 or 8, ugh) and we're looking forward to each of them. We made sure to not overdue ourselves this year, as this has been a problem in the past, and it has made it easier to look forward to each gathering. Of course we'd love to go to each party, but experience has taught us that overextending ourselves will leave a bitter taste, which loses the entire sentiment intended in the first place. Better to stick to what we're comfortable with, and enjoy what we have.

I have a good feeling about Christmas with Judah. This will be his first Christmas when he's old enough to be social, so I'm sure he'll have a fun time. Lots of food and grandparents, aunts, and uncles all giving him cookies and sips of pop... yeah, should be fun. Maybe he'll actually be able to open his own presents as well. We'll see though. The older he gets, the shorter his attention span has becomes, so he may play with one toy, and then be off discovering the wonders of Grandma and Papa's trash bin. That's part of the joy of living with a toddler. Luckily he hasn't entered the terrible two's. He is still being very obedient when we tell him "no," so I am relishing that as much as I can, as I know I will quickly forget.

Now all that's left to do is wait.

No comments: