Thursday, September 3, 2009

A Chain of Events

The last week has been more than eventful.

Ricky's mom successfully removed the invasive cancer from her breast, but is still awaiting treatment for the non invasive cancer in the surrounding areas.

To read more about that in more detail, check out her blog Kat's Meow

The day this was all happening, Ricky and I left for our roadtrip to California, which ended up sending us down and long, tiring chain of events. We drove through the night and got all the way to Santa Cruz. We spent the day on the beach, but when we tried to get Judah (and ourselves) down for a nap, things never recovered. He would NOT sleep. He screamed and screamed and screamed. We had to just get him up, and went to the pool, and then in to town instead, also paired with some grocery shopping for baby food and snacks. We figured that we could wear him out enough so that he would simply pass out of exhaustion by the end of the day...

He screamed and screamed. He did fall asleep after about an hour, only to wake up another hour later screaming again. Ricky and I tried everything. We gave him a bottle, tried to let him sleep in our bed, tried to rock him to sleep. Nothing worked. Unfortunately, I had suspected that he was getting sick the night before we left. He was just a little off, but enough to keep an eye out for sneaky cold symptoms. He got in a 6 hour stretch, but that's not that great seeing as how he usually sleep for 11-12 hours during the night. He woke up early and I could not keep him quiet to save my life. The guests above our room started pounding the floor giving us the message to "SHUT UP!" I don't blame them, and frankly, I am surprised at how long they endured it! Ricky and I had to make the decision; try to tough it out and have a mediocre vacation battling Judah and sleep the entire time? or head back and try again some other time.

We opted to drive back. Anyone who has kids knows that there's no winning with a sick child. And I'm glad we did. His symptoms took a dive, and by Saturday night, he was having a hard time breathing. By Sunday morning, he could hardly get a full breath. We had to take him the ER so he could be checked by a doctor. After a few hours there, they transferred Judah to Children's Hospital so that he could continue to be monitored for oxygen levels.

So Ricky, Judah and I were all low on sleep, and it was not the most fun trying to entertain ourselves at a hospital, not to mention entertaining Judah.

And THEN, on September 1st, Daniel and Mandy FINALLY had baby Kayla Joy Hunt. So it seems that each of the family members have had their turn at a hospital this last week.

Man, I need a vacation...

No comments: