Saturday, May 16, 2009

Party Favor

Last week at work, we had an "incident" that did not bode well with myself, and the day ended with me yelling at my boss and threatening my manager that I would put in my 2 weeks notice.

Now, fortunately (for my manager) that did not happen, but when I came into work today, my boss was notably nicer to me, more talkative, humorous, and had a better attitude in general. He talked to me about his new car, and his plans for the good weather. Small talk really, and it's not that he's not usually nice, but it's obvious to me that he is trying to get back on my good side.

It got me thinking... In almost any other scenario that I can imagine yelling at the owner of a company, it seems that I would be trying to get back on his good side, and not the other way around. I would consider myself a "better-than-average" employee because of my stronger work ethic and morally higher standards, but being self critical, I'm not that amazing. Why is he working so hard to keep me around when he could find someone waaaay cheaper and quieter? The only answer I can find is divine favor. I know that I have many things that I need to work on to become a better employee. So why else would I be so highly favored?

In light of this, I wrote this prayer to God:

Dear Lord,

Thank you for the favor that you have given me in the eyes of my employers. I know that it could only come from You. Please give me the discipline and the moral compass to grow my character in the workplace so that I can be worthy of the favor I have been given through You. Show me where I need to change, and teach me to be faithful in the small things. I know that there is so much that I need to improve. Strengthen my conscience and help me to remember that I must do my work as unto You in all things, no matter how much I feel that it is unimportant. I would have nothing without You, and I will try to remind myself of that daily. I know that no small thing in unimportant to You. Also, please teach me to be patient with everything that I do, because I can only do that with Your help. Keep my mind always on eternity. I love you more than life.

Your Daughter,

Rosemary

No comments: