Saturday, March 7, 2009

My Life is Over!

Last night, our young adult group had a discussion forum about how we can begin to do outreach and start making a difference. It was led by Trista, and she talked a lot about the abolition movement and how we can start to fight human trafficking. It really woke me up to what is going on. I got really pumped up and I am realizing that we need to stop talking, and start doing.

The reason I say that my life is over is because I am no longer going to be eating chocolate or drinking coffee unless it is fair trade. This is pretty tough on me because those are my two favorite treats. But the way I see it, this is such a small thing for me to give up compared to what others don't have. We are so greedy in America. I was so blind to all this before, and I just don't know where my mind was at.

Speaking with Ricky last night, I described how I was feeling about what I have been responsible for. It's like the butterfly effect, whereas everything that I do out of habit, or the ordinary, is significantly impacting someone else on the other side of the world. They are dying, and have no hope, while I indulge because I had a craving, or I was on my period, or simply because I felt like it. How selfish of me? My eyes were so closed off and I was so focused on my own pitiful existence that I could never see how my selfishness was killing a little girl in Thailand.

When I think about it that way, then giving up coffee and chocolate is such a tiny step. Why wouldn't I give it up?! If I could never have it again for the rest of my life, then that would be ok. What a small sacrifice in the grand scheme of things. One human life on the other side of the world in more important than ALL the coffee or chocolate in the entire world. Any comfort that we have here on earth is going to evaporate anyway. None of it matters. All that matters is love.

Later, I'll send some links with more info about slave labor on cocoa and coffee plantations.

1 comment:

Ricky said...

I feel like if people actually knew the truth about what's happening, that things would be very different. Once you know the truth about what the chocolate, coffee, garments industries are doing, you have no choice but to change your ways. If only people KNEW what was happening. People generally hate injustice, but they are too focused on how to free up some space on their credit card for the next big thing they want to buy. :( So sad how pitiful our existance is over here in America in heart, and how it makes other people's existances pitiful in body.