Saturday, January 10, 2009

Attitude Adjustment

I was sitting here in a bad mood, when it suddenly occurred to me that I have nothing to be in a bad mood about. So instead, I am going to write about all the great things going on in my life, because there is much more of that. I also don't want to fall back into my old habit of only writing when I am in a bad mood.

I have this journal that I got years and years ago. I must have been 10 or 11, and when I read through it, I just laugh because I would only write an entry when I was having a bad day. So the whole journal is dedicated to the bad days in my life since I was 11. When I started this blog, I vowed never to do that again. There is just too much goodness in life to waste my time focusing on the few minor bad things.

So what am I grateful for today? I was grateful to get my son up at the break of dawn. Normally when Ricky or I go get him from his crib in the morning, he's awake, and who knows how long he's been there being quiet and thoughtful. Since I was up early for work, I leaned over his crib while he was still sleeping, and I just stared at him for a minute or two, not wanting to steal him from his sugar plums, or whatever it is that baby's dream about. I was not sure if I had the heart to wake him, but as I was pondering what to do, he opened his eyes. He saw me and did a big stretch. Perfect timing, Judah.

I am also grateful for my husband, who had an unusual amount of energy this morning, most likely because he knew that he could go back to bed. I was sleeping through my alarm, and he was tickling me, and rubbing my back, trying to wake me up. It worked. He nudged me a few times, and that was enough to pull me out of that half dream state, and I could have got up, but I liked him touching me, so I pretended to still be out of it so he wouldn't stop. It was a nice way to wake up. Although, it's not always that nice. Usually I am thinking Ok, buddy, touch me one more time and I'll pull your toe nails off! I'll get up when I am good and ready! I guess I am grateful that that was not my mood this morning.

I am grateful for my decaf-double- short-nonfat-white-chocolate-mocha that I get Saturdays. I have been good about not running out for an espresso every morning, so on Saturdays it's my special treat. I also appreciate the fact that I enjoy it so much more when it's not routine. It makes me feel better when I come into the 50 degree warehouse with a hot espresso. Mmmmm.

I am grateful for homemade dinners. It was hard getting used to eating out less often, but now I am enjoying it. The only down side it that there are more dishes to do, but hey, the food is great. I am also happy about our new toaster oven that we got. It's also been a lifesaver since our microwave died about a week ago. I thought we'd have caved, and bought one by now, but shockingly we are getting by without it (barely). I like cooking, and as I start to get into the rhythm of cooking for a family, I am getting more adventurous and creative. It makes me feel more like a mom too.

I am grateful for my family in general. A hard working hubby, and a growing baby. Hubby is busy at work so that I can stay at home. A baby who got his first two teeth this week, and is eating solids now, and had his first "big boy" poop. I am grateful that I get to see them a lot, rather than having to deal with night shifts and paying off thousands of dollars or credit card debt. I am glad that I can look forward to going home today, rather than dread it. I know many people live like that, but I am not one of them.

I am grateful that the work day is almost over.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rosemary,

What a nice post to read. You're right, better to focus on the good things in life than the bad. The bad is always there and it get's a lot of attention these days. I like your life and you and Ricky have made. It's nice to read posts like yours as your life is so different than mine.

Thanks for sharing.

Lots of love,
Janiece

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I just have to add...why aren't you on FaceBook?! I guess we'll just continue to talk about you until you do. ha ha!!!

Janiece

(Sorry for signing on as anonymous, I'm having password issues...)

Rosemary Ochs said...

I will never give in! I'll show all you facebook junkies! Muahahah!

I am not getting a facebook account to spite Ricky. He gave me a hard time about my myspace a long time ago, which I deleted because of him.

Maybe someday...

Anonymous said...

You are hilarious! Okay if spite is the reason you're not on FaceBook, I can totally respect that! :0) I have a MySpace as well, but hardly ever go in there. I need to figure out how to delete it.

And, by the way, you're right! We're all a bunch of a FaceBook junkies. "May name is Janiece, I've been a FB junkie for about 2 months..."

Liz, says you've been a great help to her with Connor and all that you've taught her. That's so cool.

Take care,
Janiece